Sunday, January 18, 2009

Makeshift Cabinet Shop

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm going to complete all the casework for my kitchen cabinets in my garage. It's far from luxurious, but it's sufficient.



Just a CNC router and a drinking problem away from a production cabinet shop! I've been busy the last few days getting all my machines set up, wiring some extra plug-ins, building fixtures, etc etc. Due to the confined space and temporary nature of this location, I tried to set things up as simply as possible. No dust collection yet, it's still in the crate!


Get a load of the toilet seat clock on the far wall. Classy! Getting things ready to start making sawdust wasn't without mishap however. I built a sheet goods cart to help move all the veneer ply around but once I got about 12 sheets on it I noticed a pretty considerable sag in the base. I just started off-loading all the sheets when it collapsed, sending the stack up against the bandsaw, damaging the top sheet. Fack! Oh well,there's lots of places that will only be seen from one side where I can hide a scrape. At least it didn't tip over the bandsaw. That thought raced through my mind when I saw it start to go...


I built the cart so one side could hold full sheets and the other side has bunks for off-cuts. See how the base of the cart is actually two halves? I did that so the side that stands upright, that supports the sheets leaning up against it, would be captured at the bottom. I was worried that if I made a solid base and then screwed some type of box on top the weight of the sheets would just push it over. Unfortunately though that seam buckled and pulled apart. I'll fix it up and put another set of casters underneath it.


The previous owner left a whole stack of these stickers. They're so obnoxious and ... Albertan! I stuck them all over everything.



I don't know how functional this setup will be. It's hard to free up any more room AND swing full sheets around. Both the jointer and planer are on wheels though, so I can get them out of the way if I have to.


Drill press and nudie calendar. I love nudie calenders, they're so old school cheeseball. It reminds me of my grandpa's garage. The girls are all old and heavy, with botched boob jobs and c-section scars. Hilarious.



Ta-Da!! Here she is, in all her cast iron glory. I had a be-atch of a time getting this thing through the door by myself. It's a couple inches taller than the lip on the end of the overhead door so I had to tip it forward and drag it into place. I'm not sure what it weighs, but the bill of lading when it was delivered said 800lbs, enough to squash me like a bug. I haven't actually run it up yet though, it's 3 phase so I'll have to rob the VFD off my milling machine. Baby steps...

No comments: