Monday, January 19, 2009

Now I need a robo-laser plywood cutter-outer.

While I was at the office 'working' today I finally got my cut list finalized for my cabinets. I found a program online called 'Cut Optimizer' that allows you to enter your inventory of material and your list of required pieces, and it designs a cut pattern that minimizes waste. When I bought my material I made a tally of all my pieces and thought that I could squeeze it out of 13 sheets - but it would be tight because I didn't factor in the shelves in the wall cabinets. The software today spit out a cut pattern that got all my pieces, everything, out of 9 sheets.

Lets see your silly wooden handplane do that!!

2 comments:

jbreau said...

do you want to borrow my japanesse saw for the cuts? it's got a super thin kerf. i'm sorry, but i don't lend out my robo-laser plywood cutter-outer.
that's a pretty clever computer program, i wonder if ian could find one to help him with his chair spindles?
your shop is looking pretty good, it's a decent size and all, and fully loaded. but i think your a little crazy... one day someone is going to find you cold under a hunk of iron. but i guess it's chinook time, not so cold.

Cody said...

Is your japanese saw at least a robo-laser japanese saw? I'm pretty sure I saw that on an anime film somewhere...