Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You wanna eat?

...then you need a kitchen.

I've been blog lazy the last few weeks, but there hasn't been much to talk about. I've been working on my house, and have finally got to a point where I can start building the kitchen cabinets. Here's a drawing I've been working on to make sure everything would fit together properly. Unfortunately my house has oddball dimensions after furring the interior walls 2" for insulation. Rather than the nice 16" devisible window spacing, my cabinets will end up being... unique! I also used this drawing to show people to get their input regarding functionality. There were a few revisions, and I think I have it now to a point where I can start snapping measurements off this drawing on to a set of 2D construction drawings. It's nice to have the 3D representation first though, to make sure everything jives. It's like having a mockup, sorta.


Obviously I'm not going to paint the frames purple and the panels grey. I didn't bother rendering 'real wood' into the drawing because it takes forever and eats up memory like crazy. The doors and drawer fronts are all simple frame and panel, birch. I'm going to use pre-finished birch veneer ply for the casework. Expensive, but it'll save hours of finishing time as well as eliminate all the space I would need to lay all the cabinet components out for finishing. Another added benefit is the final finished surface, which is a baked on epoxy. Supposedly it's near indestructible, yet has a nice matte finish. Not the ugly glossy varathane look I expected.

For the casework I'm going to stick to my makeshift garage shop. It's comfortable enough to get everything cut out in there, but then I'm going to move the pieces into the kitchen itself for assembly and glue up. The extra room and regulated temperature in the house will be much needed! Also, it will allow me to hang cabinets as I finish them rather than have them sitting around.

2 comments:

jbreau said...

yeah i wanna eat. what are you making? nice to have you back in blagtion.
where's your sink going to be? i hope that you document the construction of these cabinets so that we can see how it's done. i can't say that i've ever witnessed that before. should be interesting. so does it go without saying that your bandsaw is home?

Cody said...

There, I updated the pic to show the sink. Yup, my bandsaw is home, but it's actually sitting in my barn right now, I haven't even gave it a spin yet. I have to borrow my dad's bobcat this weekend to push snow around so I'm going to move the bandsaw into the garage and give 'er a whirl.

I'll try to document the cabinet construction, but I don't know how diligent I'll be, or how interesting it'll be - 'this is me cutting biscuit joints for three days...'.