Friday, October 30, 2009

28 Days Later

My hand is coming along, slowly but surely. The stitches have all dissolved and the last of the dead tissue has finally been peeled away. It's going to take a long time for the tissue to grow back on the ring and middle fingers though, and there's a big oozy hole that might actually need plastic surgery to close up because of its location - right on top of the knuckle.


And so I bought a SawStop. There's a woodworking show going on in Edmonton this weekend, and this afternoon I stopped by. There were three retailers selling SawStop machines. I chatted with all three and learned that one of them had a machine in their shop that had been returned recently. A school had bought 2 machines this past summer, but after running them for a month they decided they needed a second bandsaw more than a second tablesaw. I went to their shop and looked at it, and of course you can't tell it isn't brand new. So a 3hp industrial saw with a 52" fence, regular $4300, was $2900. Still more than I can afford being a starving student, thank god for good credit!

I really need to do something with all these machines I'm gathering up! I believe a project is in order...

2 comments:

LORD GODFREY said...

Man it looks like it would still really hurt. I am so glad that you didn't end up loosing anything. That was as close a call as they come I would guess. I was wondering about the saw stop and how effective it would be in that situation? I figure even without the safety, it is a great saw.

I'll try calling you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

ouch! i agree it's great you didn't lose any digits. i remember the first woodshop i walked into years ago in denmark. this is going back some time now... but many of the old timers were missing fingers. it almost turned me off to woodworking. thank goodness safety in the equipment is improving. heal quickly.