Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Linear Thinking

I thought I'd get back to the topic of my mortiser. Or, more accurately, the design of the XY table on my mortiser. Below is my initial design that I drew up almost a year ago. My intention was to use 1/2" linear rails and build bronze bushings that pressed into a solid aluminum block. I went as far as to machine the bottom half; the seats and rails (photo #'s 2 and 3).




I got to this point a few months back but got hung up on the prototype for my bushing block. It turns out that while it isn't difficult to get the two rails to be exactly parallel, it's very difficult to bore two 3" deep holes exactly parallel. Even after getting my milling machine trammed in to within 0.0005 in all directions I couldn't drill and ream the two parallel bushings to within the couple thousands that I needed. Time for plan B.

There are several linear bearing designs, depending on the desired application. Very high end linear rails and bearings like the set shown below can withstand huge side loads and still run smooth due to the inherent stiffness of their design.

These are made by TSK and come in various widths and lengths. They are quite expensive new but I got these from ebay for next to nothing. I'm actually saving them for something else though so for my XY table I bought these:


They are actually considered a 'ball bushing' and can't handle the side load that the THK bearings can. They're also not quite as accurate as the bearings and have a tiny bit of slop in them, but it's negligible. In a cnc application, or in a production machine that runs non-stop, these wouldn't cut it. In my application though I think they'll work just fine. I bought these on ebay too, but I bought a second set from a local bearing dealer who had ordered them in for someone who never picked them up. He gave them to me for cost, which was cheaper than the ebay set.

Perhaps one day soon I'll actually put all these pieces together into something usable!

12 comments:

LORD GODFREY said...

Couldn't you just use some marbles in a routed troff? That would work wouldn't it?

Cody said...

Bruce? Is that you??

Cody said...

Hey Ian, do you have a SawStop tablesaw? I noticed in one of your pics that your tablesaw was black. If so, do you like it?

Anonymous said...

do you really need a whole lot of side load strength? seems to me if the whole thing is running smoothly and the cuts are light, the side force would be negligeable. you could always triple stack the bearings. would this augment your side load capacity by 50%? what are you going to chuck your bits into? the chuck is going to be directly onto the motor shaft?

Anonymous said...

i also love that you are photographing these metal things on your bench. nice touch.

Cody said...

Well, my intent was to build a big and heavy machine that could hog out mortises, rather than the sissy light cuts that are necessary with the D&W horizontal boring machine (sorry Ian). Having to take a 1/32" per pass and having a whole stack of parts to mortise drives me nuts. I cut threads in the shaft of the motor and mounted a Jacobs chuck, but I have concerns that this will be the weak point. When I first got my milling machine I was lazy and tried to mill a light cut in a piece of aluminum with a 1/2" endmill using a chuck rather than a collet and it totally trashed the chuck. They can't really handle any appreciable side load. Building a spindle and collet system however is a huge undertaking, so I guess we'll see how the Jacobs turns out.

LORD GODFREY said...

Cody

Yes I got the Saw Stop. I really like it a lot. I have had perfect performance from it so far and everything was dialed in out of the crate, no fiddling. Me likey.

Anonymous said...

hey cody, could you not somehow make the corresponding parts and then attach them to a plate once on the rails? this would negate the 'drilling two holes parrallel' thing, but it would be a hair raising set up to get the thing to run on the perpendicular.

Cody said...

Hey Jacques, how 'bout you shut up! Yeah, that was my tentative 'plan b' but decided immediately afterward 'to hell with it, I'll just buy them'. Actually, I spend a lot of time reading the posts on the www.cnczone.com forum - there's tons and tons of linear motion material there. After reading a few stories of people building there own linear bushing designs I decided that I would rather outsource that part of the manufacturing, hence the ebay rails and bearings. You're right though, that would definitely be the way to be able to align the two bushings - during assembly.

Anonymous said...

sorry cody, i'll keep it to myself from now on. it's just that your mortiser project is so compelling and right up my alley that i can't help thinking of it, mostly in my subconscious. but your right, it's probably one of those things that is easier bought then made. the linear things...

Anonymous said...

ja man... typing error. did you get your saw yet?

Cody said...

No worries about the questions, I'm just kidding... sort of :)

I did get my saw! I was out at a site visit for work yesterday when it arrived and didn't get back until 11pm and today I was insulating my house all day so I haven't actually seen it yet. I'll take some pics asap though and post them.