Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail.

I have big plans. Executing those plans however, is another story. I'm the world's best project starter but I'm not what you would consider a good 'closer'. Actually, as I write this I'm sitting across from my 'Tabletop Tansu' cabinet that I began building while taking part in a year long residency program at the Inside Passage School of Fine Woodworking. It doesn't have any doors and a lack of drawer pulls means that if you want to look inside the drawers (which haven't really been fitted) you have to tip the cabinet forward and shake the drawers out. That imbuya cabinet in the photograph at the bottom of the page? The drawers don't open, I've never taken the time to fit them properly. I'm currently renovating an old farmhouse and I'm pretty certain that my friends and family all secretly think that while I'm busting my tail working on it now, I'll quit working on it once it's 'habitable'. It pisses me off when they say as much but they're probably right.

This is my clever way of leading into the story of my homemade mortising machine.

No comments: